Monday, March 3, 2014

Wangs Weird Ways

In the fashion news last week, Vogue reported on its favourite campaigns set to be released for the upcoming Spring/Summer 2014. The heading reads "Why these are the best campaigns of spring/summer '14" but if you ask me it should go a little more like this "Why? Are these the best campaigns of spring/summer?" and the answer would be no.
Alexander Wang has always been a favourite of mine when it comes to ready to wear opulence, with flirty details and sports lux tailoring but the latest campaign just really doesn't do it for me. Perhaps I'm becoming too mainstream in what appeals to my fashion tastes, but I feel as though this campaign is no more "fashion forward" than a securing a tin can to one's head and calling it a hat.
Trash is trash!
What I found more upsetting is that the actual collection is completely gorgeous. I love the semi sheer sweat shirt, I love the tailored short and button up shirt combo and I adore the gorgeous teal dress with it's ruffle detail and pleated skirt. I just can't understand why he chose to have it shot like this.
Alexander Wang 
Models: Anna Ewers and Zuzu Tadeushuk
Photographer: Steven Klein
 
Captured by Steven Klein, (well known for his provocative work) Wang told Women's Wear Daily “Since the spring-summer 2014 collection plays on the duality of naïveté and perverse explicitness in youth culture, we wanted to shoot the campaign in a very familiar environment most people grow up reminiscing about."
I don't know about you, but I can't say I have ever reminisced about hanging out in a public bathroom in a designer dress, chewing bubble gum. Perhaps I'm just not "youthy" enough to understand. He went on to say "I loved blurring the lines between censorship and humour.” Unfortunately I can't help but feel this all went a little wrong some where along the way. I don't find this campaign in the least bit humorous, in fact, I feel it's a little degrading, not just to the beautiful women portrayed but to fashion in general.
Wang is at the height of ready to wear fashion and his garments are constantly adorned by the young, wealthy and fabulous, so why degrade such beauty to this low standard?
When I put it out there to those in my fashion circle and I asked what they thought of the campaign, we all seemed to agree. It didn't do it for me, it didn't do it for them and it doesn't do it for Wang.
When your product is on point and your brand is synonymous for being freaking fabulous, you really don't need a campaign like this, if anything I feel it's a little damaging to the brand. This campaign doesn't provoke feelings of lust or desire for the garments, more so repulsion than anything else. When you put together a fashion campaign you want to sell a dream, this is certainly not a dream I want to buy in to and I have no idea why Vogue is gushing over this like a prized pup.
What did you think of AW campaign? Fashion forward or fashion flop?
xx