Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 6 of Melbourne Adventures

My suitcase is now officially full, in fact I can't quite believe it but I've shopped myself out. Yesterday we started our day with a stroll down to the CBD where I had previously found some fabulous vintage stores, but they weren't open at the time. Wandering into the beautiful Royal Arcade just off the mall I headed straight for Hunter Gatherer a quiet little op shop with a million and one goodies littering the floor, walls and everywhere in between. I could have spent all day there but knowing we were on a tight time schedule I had to make it quick. I made a dash for some gorgeous scarfs, and although I pined to stay for hours I knew I had to quickly duck into the other adorable (but super overpriced) Anonymous Posh, I only had a quick look and if I had the money to spend on genuine 50's - 80's product this would be the place to go. I also quickly popped into the Salvos store under the arcade but unlike most opshops in Brissy this was not really the place to find cute vintagey skirts and sweaters, I did manage to find one scarf mind you and then it was back into the main arcade for a little boutique shopping. We found an adorable shop called Hello Gorgeous and I bought a burgundy swing skirt and a little black hat which I fell totally in love with!
From there we headed off to the National Gallery for the Napoleon exhibition, what a display! If you get the chance I'd highly recommend it, it was so much more than just old paintings on a wall. The exhibition displayed books including the first sketches of our native flora and fauna, jewellery and clothing from princess' and queens of our past, swords, guns and armour that would have fought battles in Egypt, Austria, Northern Italy and even the famous battle of Waterloo. Each with its own story to tell, and a plaque to tell it. After having our minds blown we headed to St Kilda for lunch.
It was a windy afternoon but the sun was shinning and we were all in the mood for a little shop, and shop we did! St Kilda has a gorgeous range of unique boutiques along its strip, and we all left with a little something, I think I most definitely left with the most. Despite having done Chapel St earlier in the week, I didn't feel like I'd bought all that much so I had no reservations once I'd found a store I liked everything in. I bought some really cute pieces including one dress I liked so much I bought it in two colours! What can I say I'm a sucker for a good silhouette and satin bows.
After tuckering ourselves out it was time for a visit to the bakery where we noshed on delicious home made Italian treats at Le Bon Cake, before heading home for a quick change of clothes and a nap before dinner.
We went to the famous Lygon St last night for our last Melbourne dinner. Our tour guide had been keen as a bean to go to her favourite place along the strip, Papa Ginos and after a superb meal I can see why it came highly recommended. The food was devine and not at all expensive and you could tell by how extremely busy they were that this was a place the locals ate at. We watched on as the pizza creators whipped together culinary delights before our eyes and enjoyed listening to them natter away at one another in Italian.
There's one thing I love about Melbourne and that is that you never feel out of place here, everyone is warm and friendly and the restaurants make food and atmosphere feel like a big hug from your mum. If I can offer any advice while visiting Melbourne its this, eat where the locals eat, go where the locals go, and soak up all the culture and glory or Melbourne as you possibly can. Yes it's a fashion destination but there is so much more to Melbourne than just beautiful clothes. Go and enjoy it! Xx