Monday, January 9, 2012

My Market Day

My first experience at the Young Designer Markets was spectacular! It was raging hot, I forgot vital things like mirrors and chairs but all in all it was a fabulous day! My amazing brother and his partner came along to help me set up and I'm so glad they did. My brilliant change room fell apart as I tried to hang it (I was warned, but of course I thought I knew better). Thank goodness for my handyman brother, who quickly zip tied everything into place to create a sturdy changing area in case a customer requested it. In fact he practically zip tied everything down so the only thing I had to worry about if there was any sniff of wind, was my polystyrene heads flying off the table (and this only happened once). It wasn't long before I started making sales which gave me such a buzz and I went on to sell a few more items throughout the day. My brother, his partner and her mum came to have lunch with me and bought "The Wolf Pack" our three dogs, they had an absolute ball, I love that South Bank is so dog friendly! My gorgeous wife and best friend also came for a visit to see all my hard work pay off in stall form and although my biggest fans (my parentals) weren't there I really felt a sense of achievement from being there. I no longer felt like an amateur, my store looked professional, my product was appealing and best of all I got to find out what is liked and what I need more of. Although I didn't sell everything I had, the experience I got from talking and interacting with my customers one on one is invaluable. I am really starting to get a feel for my target market, which means that I am on the right track! I can't wait to get back into the studio and start making some more gorgeous things. I did make sure I stayed busy on the day and I managed to get three new accessories made, so I felt like the day was 100% worth it. I can't wait to do more markets like this!

My beautiful stall, in between Shazzabeth Designs and my all time faves, Blossom and Fabled and True.


My accessories table, full of my handmade wares. Bangles, fascinators, headbands, rings and jewellery.

My clothing rack full of my one of a kind dresses, skirts, tops, jackets and lingereie.


The Wolf Pack came to visit, consisting of my pooch (above) Leo, and my brother and his partners dogs, Rocky and Prada.