Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Super Shoot Saturday

On Saturday I attempted something new, something I had never done with strangers before and something that actually scared the jeeblets out of me. I put myself out there and pretended to be a model for a day, and not for my own brand either! Aside from a few lame things I did when I was 18/19 years old and the odd thing here and there I've done for Evelyn Curtis (my own label) I've never experienced being a real model. I should state that I certainly don't think I am a model either, but after seeing a casting call looking for someone with who matched my description, I sheepishly put my hand up and volunteered myself to give it a go. I clearly stated that "I'm not a model, but I would be happy to help out if you get desperate". Lucky for me, the lovely designer did get desperate and asked me to fill the "model position" for her Spring Summer campaign shoot.
I had my fitting mid week down the coast at The Emerging Designers Store at Pacific Fair so I knew what style to expect, but all the same, I was extremely nervous about trying to get my poses right; after all, this shoot was not just a test shoot, but her new Spring Summer campaign!
There is definitely a big difference between getting a great selfie for Instagram and getting a great photo at a real photo shoot!
We arrived at our amazing location just on the fringe of Lamington National Park, the photographer and designer had previously scouted out the most amazing place I'd ever seen! An abandoned tree house/cabin right on the main road nestled in amoungst the trees, complete with stone arches and old wooden doorways.
It was such a strange experience being in front of the camera with a professional photographer for a brand that wasn't mine! It took me a few shots to get comfortable with the concept, but both the designer and photographer were so fabulous to work with that it didn't take too long for me to get into the groove, and give it my all. So much fun was had as different people came to inspect the house (and to see what we were up to) including an adorable old couple from America who were travelling the roads of Australia, they even took a photo to prove to their friends back home that they stumbled across a photo shoot on their travels!
Everyone seemed pleased with the images once we wrapped up the shoot and now that I've seen some of the edited images too I can truthfully say, I think they turned out ok. This experience definitely took me out of my comfort zone but in a good way. The team were so supportive and great to work with and I am now open to the idea of doing more shoots in the future. Yes it was scary, and no it wasn't easy, but it was a great experience and I'd urge anyone who's in need of a new challenge to give it a go!
Here's a few quick images from the shoot and once I get more I'll pop them up!
 
Photographer: Michelle Timotin from Kirra Sun Photography
Hair and Makeup by me :)
 
Cynthia wanted natural and romantic style make up, not bad for a 5am job ;)

Our amazing location

The beautiful house.

Cynthia Coetzer Design
Kirra Sun Photography

Cynthia Coetzer Design
Kirra Sun Photography

Cynthia Coetzer Design
Kirra Sun Photography

Cynthia Coetzer Design
Kirra Sun Photography

Cynthia Coetzer Design
Kirra Sun Photography

Cynthia Coetzer Design
Kirra Sun Photography