Monday, August 22, 2011

Bringing a tear to my eye...

Like all my fellow fashion lovers, I try to keep up to date with who's doing what in the celeb world, but today I have to say, I really wish I didn't. It seems Princess Kate has been coping it from the tabloids over her major weight loss, and although I think she looks terrible currently, I don't believe shes intentionally been trying to loose weight. Whats happening to her is a result of extreme stress and anxiety, how would you feel if you were constantly in the spotlight?


However all of this is beside the point, the reason I'm writing this blog is because of what I found after doing a little digging. The tabloids have made a big deal out of Kate's weight loss because she's been seen on "pro-ana" (pro anorexia and bulimia) blogs, using her as "thinspiration" and this is what makes me sick. Not because I feel it's unfair on Kate to be used in such a negative way, but because there are girls out there that feel the need to use her that way.


I spent some time researching these pro-ana blogs, just to see what was contained in them and after coming across one blog, I almost ended up in tears. Now I've never been a teeny-weeny girl, but I am rather short and I've never really been any bigger than a size 10 (other than my puppy fat stage, but I have mainly blocked that from my memory) so in most respects I've always been petite.


I am however curvy, always have been and always will be, and in fact I wouldn't want to be any other way. I have boobs, and hips and they meet at a little waist in the middle. I have a bum, I have thighs and yes sometimes I hate the way I look, yes sometimes the pressure from the millions of images of ten foot tall, thin, gorgeous women get to me and upset me because I don't look like that....


But then I realise I AM BEAUTIFUL! People love me for my talents, for my personality, for my brains, for my dorky jokes and even if I didn't have blue eyes and long brown hair, double d boobs and a good sense of style (most of the time) it wouldn't matter, because eventually everyone gets old, looks fade and what you have left is who you really are. That's why I feel that beauty is only skin deep, you have to be a beautiful person on the inside for it to show on the outside. You are better off investing on working on your social skills and studying in your chosen field than spending 10 hours on a cross trainer to make your waist that inch smaller.


That said I'm a massive advocate for being healthy and I try to eat well, drink several litres of water and go to the gym regularly, but it's not because I'm aspiring to be a certain size or weight. In fact I can't remember the last time I weighed myself. I don't see the point, and I don't understand why these girls hate themselves so much because of the way they perceive their appearance. I know that eating disorders are a mental issue, I just wish they didn't exist.


I wish so much that these girls could see themselves the way I see myself. I'm not tiny, but I love myself. I would never cut myself because I think I'm fat, I would never binge, then purge then fast my body as punishment for the way that it looks, and I can't imagine ever wanting to die because I was so unhappy with my body that I no longer saw the point in the gift which is life.


I hope that in the future I can really make an impact to help educate girls on seeing themselves in a more positive light. Everyone at some point of their life will have someone think they are less than perfect, I lived with mine for two and a half years, but you must keep that inner strength that stands up to that person and tells them they are wrong. The only person who needs to think you are perfect is you. The rest of the world will follow your lead. If you are suffering from a body image issue, please seek help because you are worth it, you are worth your life and you belong on the planet, you are perfect and beautiful, you just have to believe it.

Need to talk to someone? Try these links:
www.thebutterflyfoundation.org.au/
www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?
www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/body_image/body_image.html