Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Market love

Ahhh Sunday morning's, provided you don't have to go to work there is usually a certain amount of love one feels on a Sunday morning. A lazy sleep in, a nice breakfast and a fun activity usually encompasses a normal Sunday morning for me, and last Sunday was no exception. I was in the mood for a good old fashioned market so I grabbed my olds and headed to the nearest Sunday Markets for my fix.

Petrie Town Markets welcomed me with open arms, hugging me with the scent of fairy floss, warming me with beautiful sunshine in a cloudless sky and filling me with Devonshire tea and fresh strawberries. I wandered from stall to stall, looking at antique suitcases, random bags of buttons, vintage vogue patterns, 50 cent fabric rolls, homemade pincushions and old fashioned lollies. I love markets for the variety on show, there really was something for everyone.

Starting with breakfast we feasted on homemade scones with jam and cream, then wandering over to the farmers section we picked up our weekly fruit and veg, then mum and I wandered into the numerous little home wares and fabric stores as my dad riffled through old rock vinyls looking for a classic.

I ended up coming home with a bag of goodies including some gorgeous white crushed silk (a steal at 50c for the half metre), two vintage vogue patterns ($3 each), gorgeous new homemade pin cushions (complete with sequined trim) and a bag of lollies to share amongst the family once we arrived home.

I think its one of those things that you always feel you don't have enough time for, so this weekend we're heading back as we only got half the market done before we had to rush home to organise the family Sunday roast lunch.

I wonder what I'll find this weekend. There's always treasure to be found, you just need to know what to look for.