Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Market Madness




Sunday saw in my first taste of market life and although it was on a miniature scale (the suitcase rummage - nothing over about $20 tends to sell, most items are about $5 or less) it set the tone for the rest of the year. I am a converted market lover! I always loved attending them as a buyer but I can now honestly say (other than the sunburn) I really had the best day. Although I only sold a few things I covered the cost of my entry fee, parking in the city and managed to buy myself a nice new pair of shoes with the profits.
What I love most about the markets is the diverse range of people attending them. The group includes tourists looking to immerse themselves in Brisbane's market culture, city retail workers on their lunch breaks looking for a bargain, students looking for an op-shop find and of course other marketeers (they tend to buy more than anyone else).
My friend and I both bought some little market treasures, I found a pair of Witchery leather flats for $15 that had never been worn and had been originally $149, my friend bought a vintage silk dress and we scored a free portrait from a sketch artist, and a free pineapple-passion fruit-mint concoction which was a perfect way to end our lovely day in the sun. We were set up right next to a local musician whom we bought a CD off and I've been playing his four songs over and over in my car all day.
All in all I can say I can't wait till next months suitcase rummage and I'm even more excited to get into the Young Designer Markets at Southbank in a few months.
Next suitcase rummage will be the first Sunday of next month, hope to see you all there, it's a perfect way to spend your Sunday.